Closing Date: June 29, 2012
Hiring Range: $15.52 to $19.79 hourly
Denver Water proudly serves high-quality water and promotes its efficient use to 1.3 million people in the city of Denver and many surrounding suburbs. Denver Water aspires to be the best water utility in the nation. The organization is a responsible steward of the resources, assets and natural environment entrusted to us in order to provide a high-quality water supply, a resilient and reliable system, and excellent customer service.
Denver Water’s Customer Relations Division is currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Maintenance Trade Helper within our Meter Shop. Under close supervision, performs semi-skilled duties in trades, assisting journeymen in performing the work in a specific trade.
The successful candidate will be able to perform the following duties:
- Assist journeymen in installing, operating, repairing, and maintaining a variety of equipment. Drive light truck as required.
- Carries and delivers tools, supplies, and equipment, and secures materials from storeroom; keeps tools motors and work areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Assist in lifting and carrying heavy equipment, and performs routine duties using wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, hammers and other hand tools.
- Carries-out the Department’s safety program through job performance and attendance at scheduled safety meetings.
- Reviews blueprints, sketches and specifications related to installations, and reads micrometers, tape measures and related equipment.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Qualifications for appointment:
- Some knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions peculiar to trades work.
- Some knowledge of the hand and power tools used in the trade of meter repair.
- Skill in the use of hand tools.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Education Requirements: Graduation from high school, or equivalent education.
Experience Requirements: One years’ experience in general mechanical work.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class R Colorado driver’s license, and have a satisfactory driving record of no more than six points within the last three years.
- Maintenance Trade Helpers in Meter Shop may be required to operate vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 – 26,000 pounds.
- May be required to perform strenuous work, both indoors and outdoors, in a variety of weather conditions.
Denver Water offers excellent benefits that include a pension plan; a 401(k) plan with 3 percent match; a 457 deferred compensation plan; health and dental coverage; life insurance; and vacation, holiday, sick leave.
All employment offers are contingent on the successful completion of a post-offer physical, which includes drug and alcohol testing. A background check will be conducted to verify information submitted on application. A strength test may also be conducted. All candidates must submit a completed Denver Water application in order to be considered. Applications will be accepted until a sufficient number are received.
Recruiter: Alice Montez